Dark Angels
Pinhole Camera
Hallie Frost 2016

My Pinhole Camera was constructed of a 2$ reusable Starbucks cup, made of a soft plastic. I drove a nail through the Mermaid's left eye and captured these shots of negatives of other Starbucks Cups. The negatives show what appear to be "dark angels" where the Mermaid's mysterious double tail resembles wings. The small prints were arranged to emulate stop-motion where the Dark Angels multiply and ascend upon the viewer in an apocalyptic critique of non-reusable cups coupled with our culture's addiction to coffee.

Body Prints
Cyanotype, Full Size
These prints were experiments in contact printing my body on to the cyanotype. The right one is the print on glass and the left is my body covered in sunscreen on the paper. Unfortunately the sunscreen inverts the deep blue to light orange which is truly unfortunate. The glass print lacks the intimate detail of the top.These experiments proved useful in planning our classes collaborative cyanotype project body printing (we just laid out in the sun) which will be an homage to Yves Klein and his Blue which Cyanotypes naturally reference.

This was a contact print I made of a small comic. I may continue this style with Lumen's prints but I did not enjoy the composition on Cyanotype


This was my Midterm Critique showing. It featured Prints I had made of digital negatives in Van Dyke Brown as well as Lumen's Prints. It also documented my exploration of contact printing in Cyanotype and Van Dyke Brown which had been incorporated with my interest in wrappers (Starbucks Dark Angel stuff) and plastic bags in general. The process for figuring out which process (VDB for Detail, C for color) worked for each piece of trash was a problem for me, and in the end the critique I found the most helpful was to arrange my subjects in reference to the categorical use of photography of specimens rather than solely focus on capturing them. Plastic Bags on Cyanotype will appear in my final portfolio.

No comments:
Post a Comment