First work13 April 2016
Yerba Maté "can cam" with Paper Negative Self-Portrait
Mailbox Pinhole Camera with first Paper Negatives
Cyanotypes experimenting with application of emulsion/plant matter
Of all three of these processes and images, I'm definitely the most interested in cyanotypes. The can camera was a great way to understand the mechanics of photography better--and a really fun exercise, but I'm impatient and the amount of trial and error with both pinholes frustrates me. What I like about the cyanotype process is the combination of photographic and painterly practices in making the images. Usually I don't love photograms because of the loss of dimensional information. However, in these cyanotypes something else takes over and I'm fascinated by them. Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the paint, I'm not quite sure. I'm also not quite sure I want to put a pin on it, because that so often ruins the magic. Suffice it to say I'm working on a larger project with the cyanotypes now and would love to continue working with this process long-term!
For this body of work I was focusing on documenting a degradation process long-term. These cyanotypes were made every day over a nine day period using the exact same branch. For a long time I've been interested in the ephemerality of nature, and using the process of cyanotype is a clear and effective way for me to make work about it. I like the fact that each print is a little bit different in its coating, because there's a painterly element that comes in, as well as incorporation of my own hand as an artist. Sometimes with conventional photography I take issue in the impersonal nature of making images. So with these, I'm really excited about being present in the coating of these as well as their exposure. They're presented right now in the darkroom with no space between each image and I'm liking the way that looks more than this grid, because then they turn into one giant patterned image. The goal for these is to keep printing them until the branch has no leaves on it at all anymore--or until I no longer have access to the darkroom. (although I do want to do something else for my final)
Midterm Cyanotypes

No comments:
Post a Comment