Alternative Photographic Practices

ARTO 476 | 576
...

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Paul Baughman Final

This is a digital print that originated as a single 4x5 black and white sheet film. I contact printed a poppy petal onto the film and proceeded to process it the same a lumen print. To my surprise the black and white film contained color post processing. I then scanned the image as a color negative and digitally created a sequence of color temperature shifts as seen in the final print. The dimensions of the paper the images sit on is 24x39 inches and the band of petals dimensions are 4x25 inches.

This is a cyanotype photogram surrounded by a Van Dyke exposure printed on Arches Cover paper.
This is the spread of a book. I obtained the images by lifting text and the photograph off of simple black and white copier print outs. I left the text and photograph small so that I could scan them with a very high resolution to obtain a large amount of detail from the paper fibers left on the velum. When scanning the lifts I treated them as though they were black and white film. I then used the digital images to create 8.5x11 inch pages printed on matte paper. I then bound them by using the japanese stab bind (thanks Kat).

These two images are wet collodion ambrotypes printed on clear glass. They are 2.5x3.5 inches in size. I printed out the images, which were originally digital photographs, on Pictorico OHP transparecies and contact printed them onto the glass under an enlarger.

These two images are 8x10 inch wet collodion ambrotypes printed on clear glass. They were captured using an 8x10 flatbed camera. With these two photographs I was attempting to talk about postmortem photography. I also wanted to play with photography as the great deceiver a little. In the lower image I am playing the role of the deceased and in the upper image I am playing the role of the person having their portrait taken with the photograph of the deceased. In playing both roles I hoped to confuse the viewer for a moment or at least peak their interest to look closer at the images.
These are two more cyanotype photograms surrounded by Van Dyke brown. Throughout the course of the term I printed many images in this style in an attempt to see how the two processes would interact. With a little nudge from Terri I decided in the end to try and find relationships between the different images. These two were the ones that seemed to be most cohesive. I placed them inside of an ugly frame that had near two inches of depth between the glass and the backing. If I could have found a better looking frame that would have supported the images I would have used it. I wanted to try mounting the paper inside of a frame using the hinge technique with linen tape to give the paper some life. Unfortunately this ugly frame was the only one with depth at the second hand stores.

2 comments: